Harbor Freight Pocket Hole Jig vs Kreg: What’s the Exact Difference
There are many options available in the market today if you are looking forward to buy a pocket hole jig. A lot of people are just beginners or want to make some pieces of furniture for their house and do not want it for more extended use. We went through all the products available in pocket hole jigs and found the two best ones in this category
- Harbor freight pocket hole jig
- Kreg Jig
In this article, we will see the features of both these pocket jigs and also look at the differences between them. If you want to know the exact differences between Harbor freight pocket hole jig and Kreg jig, then go through this article.
Harbor Freight Pocket Hole Jig vs Kreg Jig
Harbor Freight Pocket Jig and Kreg Jig are the two options available in an affordable range for the people who are just starting to build some items for their house.
Harbor Freight Tools is a private tool and equipment retailer, and it’s most sold product in the pocket hole category is the Harbor freight Pocket Hole Jig which is also called Drill Master pocket hole jig. Whereas if we talk about Kreg Jig, this company has emerged as a leader in pocket hole technology. There are many options available in pocket-hole jigs such as R3-Promo Kreg R3 Jig Pocket Hole Kit, Kreg Jig K4 Pocket Hole system, Kreg K4Ms Master Jig system, etc. depending on the type of jig you are looking forward to buying. However, the option that is sold more and is highly recommended is R3-Promo Kreg R3 Jig Pocket Hole Kit. Both of the pocket hole jigs are highly recommended by the people who are newbies in the wood cutting field.
There are differences seen in the features of both these pocket hole jigs.
- Harbor Freight (HF) pocket hole jigs are made up of anodized aluminum whereas Kreg Jig has a plastic body.
- Kreg jigs are found to be easily adjustable for materials having a thickness from 1/2-Inch to 1-1/2-Inch and have more specific height adjustments for broad thickness, and HF pocket hole jig has 2 sets of holes for different thickness, one for 1’’ to ½’’ and the other one for 1 ¼’’ tp 1 ½’’.
- HF pocket hole jig is equipped with fixed toggle clamp with adjustable positions, and Kreg Jigs has Kreg R3 Jr. Pocket Hole Jig System and Kreg Classic 2″ Face Clamp in the kit.
- Kreg Jigs have solid metal drill guide as compared to HF jigs which have hardened steel drill guides for aiming the maximum precision.
- If we consider the price range, both of these are affordable and are between $60 to $65.
Why should pocket holes jig be used?
If you are a newbie and looking forward to starting woodwork it is better to invest in pocket hole jigs because not only it is cheap, it is convenient to work with, and you can learn the craft by using this tool. Secondly, pocket holes also help in creating a strong joint without making it look shabby. Also, you can hide your joints to make the furniture look presentable by joining the different pieces with screws.
A pocket hole jig is helpful in drilling a straight hole without any hassle; it also helps in holding the material which is to be drilled in a perfect position. Nowadays jigs also have guide holes which help in achieving precise straight drill hole effortlessly.
Both of these pocket hole jigs are user-friendly, portable and can be used with the help of the guides provided with these tools. To choose between these jigs factors like usage, the thickness of the material to be drilled, etc. should be kept in mind before buying.