Dowel Joints Advantages and Disadvantages – Top Joining Method
At the time of woodworking if you want to make use of dowel joints technique then get accustomed to the advantages and disadvantages of this top joining method. Once you gain the idea about their benefits and drawbacks, then you can make use of it accordingly.
Dowel Joints Advantages
- It is the speedy process that does not require screws, nails or other equipment.
- You can easily create secure joints at home which provides the neat finish.
- While woodworking, dowel joints are considered the most reliable type of joint.
- To attach the wood, it uses the pin which is durable and sturdier than the glue or nails.
- You will find it easy to assemble as to get the pin in you have only to hollow out the holes to glide the nail in the piece of wood.
- In more complex joints you can make use of it as it serves right or flat angle joint.
From all these points you can come to know about its benefits which will make your woodworking smooth and comfortable. Now I will make you aware of the disadvantages so that you can have insight knowledge of it so let’s have ahead for the same.
Dowel Joints Disadvantages
- It requires lot more time to create Tenon and mortise joints.
- It involves the use of dowelling so for novices the arrangement could be hard.
- Face to face grain contact is absent, so joints tend to be weak.
- In the situation of no rights to use the drill press, it is tough to get right align.
- You will face a lot of difficulty in getting the dowel in if on starting the hole it slips the little bit.
- In due course, the dowel cut off, so you have to insert a new dowel by drilling out the old one.
These are the few disadvantages of the Dowel joint. Though there are some shortcomings of this technique, still it benefits. Let’s discuss the dowelling benefits-
- Without breaking it can endure a lot of pressure as it is considered stable.
- The pieces of wood are perfectly aligned that does not slip.
- You can use the self-centering dowelling jig to enjoy fast and easy work in which you don’t need measuring tape for drilling. The dowel joints are easy and quick to fix and assemble.
- You only require drill, dowel, glue and measuring equipment for fixing dowel joints as the process is simple.
From all these points you can make out why dowelling is beneficial. There are various types of joints- Butt, Mitre, Rebate, Housing, Halving, Dowel, Biscuit, Biscuit, Dovetail, Mortise and Tenon, Bridle and Tongue and Groove.
The other types of joints are mortise and tenon joints. If you draw the comparison between dowel vs. mortise tenon joints, then you will find that to some extent mortise, and tenon joint is stronger than a dowel joint.
For doors, windows and picture frames you use mitre joint. You must be thinking what mitre joint is?
To have a 90-degree corner, two members are joined together at 45-degree angle. By power, meter saw you could cut the edges.
Mitre Joint Advantages
- Used for cabinets, pattern making, and picture frames.
- Provide perfect alignment.
- It is fun to prepare and looks good.
Mitre Joint Disadvantages
- It not very strong.
- In any direction, you will not find it self-aligning.
By going through this post, you can develop your understanding of top joining method. Now you can carry on your woodworking by making yourself aware about various joints that are useful for the specific type of task. This will help you to plan about which kind of great fitting will serve you better in the times of various needs.